Threats from hurricanes include high winds, heavy rainfall, storm surge, coastal and inland flooding, rip currents and tornados. The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1- November 30, with the peak between August to late October.
Here are a couple of tips on preparing your home before the season:
- Hurricane winds can cause trees and branches to fall, trim or remove damaged trees and limbs to keep you and your property safe.
- Secure loose rain gutters and downspouts and clear any clogged areas or debris to prevent water damage to your property.
- Purchase a portable generator or install a generator for use during power outages. Remember to keep generators and other alternate power/heat sources outside, at least 20 feet away from windows and doors and protected from moisture; and NEVER try to power the house wiring by plugging a generator into a wall outlet.
- Inspect your roof for any loose or missing shingles.
- Schedule regular tune-ups with a professional HVAC company is important, but especially before hurricane season. Scheduling a maintenance checkup will ensure your air conditioner is working efficiently before a storm hits.